Assam : Northeast’s 1st Tea Museum Set-To Be Established In Dibrugarh

Posted in Assam, Featured, Northeast


  • NET Web Desk

The first tea museum of Northeast India is all set to come-up in Dibrugarh, Assam, which will be officially commenced for the visitors by 2023, informed the Chairman of Assam Tourism Development Corporation Limited (ATDCL) Rituparna Baruah on Tuesday.

Addressing the mediapersons, Baruah said that 90% of the project in the first phase has already been completed. While, the remaining 10% is underway.

Meanwhile, the North East Council (NEC) and Assam Government has sanctioned a total amount of Rs 3.14 Crores for completing the first phase of this concerned project. The remaining 40 Crores has been approved by NEC for the second phase on a priority-basis.

Approved in 2016, the project stood to be a long-standing demand for public & stakeholders, as tea museum is expected to provide necessary boost for tea industry.

According to Baruah, work on the ambitious project commenced in 2017.

Transforming it into a major tourist attraction for domestic & international tourists, the Assam Government is planning to set-up an auditorium, model tea garden and tea factory inside the museum complex, spread over 2.66 acres of land during the 2nd phase.

Known as the “Tea-city of India”, Dibrugarh town is considered as the gateway to three tea-producing districts – Tinsukia, Dibrugarh, and Sivasagar.

These three areas account for approximately 50% of India’s Assam tea crop, thereby indicating Dibrugarh as the rightly earned title “Tea City of India”.

Tags: , , ,
More Articles