It is in line with best practices laid down in the India personal data Protection Bill, 2019 and is in compliance with the IT Amendment Act, 2008. This Privacy Notice applies to all your personal data processed by us, whether in physical or electronic mode.
Throughout this document, the terms “we”, “us”, “our” and “ours” refer to Northeast Today. The terms “you”, “your” and “yours” refer to YOU (the individual whose personal data we are referring to).
Northeast Today is committed to keeping your personal data private.
What personal data we collect and why we collect it
When you leave comments on the site we collect the data shown in the comments form, and also the visitor’s IP address and browser user agent string to help spam detection.
If you upload images to the website, you should avoid uploading images with embedded location data (EXIF GPS) included. Visitors to the website can download and extract any location data from images on the website.
If you leave a comment on our site you may opt-in to saving your name, email address and website in cookies. These are for your convenience so that you do not have to fill in your details again when you leave another comment. These cookies will last for one year.
If you visit our login page, we will set a temporary cookie to determine if your browser accepts cookies. This cookie contains no personal data and is discarded when you close your browser.
When you log in, we will also set up several cookies to save your login information and your screen display choices. Login cookies last for two days, and screen options cookies last for a year. If you select “Remember Me”, your login will persist for two weeks. If you log out of your account, the login cookies will be removed.
If you edit or publish an article, an additional cookie will be saved in your browser. This cookie includes no personal data and simply indicates the post ID of the article you just edited. It expires after 1 day.
Most web browsers allow you some control of cookies through browser settings.
Outlined below are the categories of cookies along with a description of what they are used for.
- Strictly Necessary Cookies: These cookies are needed to run our website, to keep it secure, and to comply with regulations that apply to us.
- Functional Cookies: We may use functional cookies on our website. These cookies allow us to remember information you enter or choices you make (such as your username, language, or your region) and provide you with enhanced, more personalised features.
- Performance/Analytics Cookies: We may use performance/analytics cookies on our website. These cookies collect information about how visitors use our website and services, including which pages visitors go to most often and if they receive error messages from certain pages. It is used to improve how our website functions and performs.
- Marketing Cookies: We may use marketing cookies on our website. These cookies help us decide which of our products, services and offers may be relevant for you. We may use this data to tailor what you see on websites, including social media. For instance, you may see our ads on other sites after you have been to our website.
- We may also use trackers (such as web beacons, tags and pixels) on our website and other digital properties to collect data about you.
Embedded content from other websites
Articles on this site may include embedded content (e.g. videos, images, articles, etc.). Embedded content from other websites behaves in the exact same way as if the visitor has visited the other website.
The categories of personal data that we collect and process are:
i.) When you subscribe to our services, we collect your personal data such as
– Contact details like your name and email address.
– Financial data like payment details (this data is encrypted with the payment gateway service provider. Northeast Today’s access is limited to contact details, payment mode, and not details like the full card used and CVV number. That information is only with the payment gateway which is covered by RBI and financial regulators).
ii.) When you visit and browse through our website, we may collect personal data through online identifiers and other technical data like IP address, transaction logs, and device details. These are features that are standard across all websites.
How long we retain your data
If you leave a comment, the comment and its metadata are retained indefinitely. This is so we can recognize and approve any follow-up comments automatically instead of holding them in a moderation queue.
For users that register on our website (if any), we also store the personal information they provide in their user profile. All users can see, edit, or delete their personal information at any time (except they cannot change their username). Website administrators can also see and edit that information.
What rights you have over your data
If you have an account on this site, or have left comments, you can request to receive an exported file of the personal data we hold about you, including any data you have provided to us. You can also request that we erase any personal data we hold about you. This does not include any data we are obliged to keep for administrative, legal, or security purposes.
Where we send your data
Visitor comments may be checked through an automated spam detection service.
Where do we obtain your personal data from?
- The personal data that you provide when you register for our service and, further, during usage of our service.
- The personal data that gets collected in the background and/or is observed about you during usage of our service.
- The personal data that gets generated during usage of our service.
How do we use your personal data?
We use your personal data for the following purposes:
1) To verify your identity.
2) To deliver our services.
3) To communicate with you regarding existing services availed by you, including notifications of any alerts or updates.
4) To evaluate, develop and improve our services.
5) For product analysis.
6) To send you information about our other services which may be of interest to you.
7) To handle enquiries and complaints.
8) To comply with legal or regulatory requirements.
9) To investigate, prevent, or act regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud and situations involving potential threats to the safety of any person.
Lawful bases of processing your personal data
We process your personal data by relying on one or more of the following lawful bases:
1) You have consented to us processing your personal data for specified reasons.
2) The processing is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation we have (for example, towards law enforcement agencies, government agencies, regulators, etc).
3) The processing is necessary for provision of certain services to you. For example,
- to communicate with you regarding existing products and services availed by you, including notifications of any alerts or updates.
- to evaluate, develop and improve our products and services.
Where the processing is based on your consent, you have the right to withdraw your consent at any point in time. Upon receipt of your request to withdraw your consent, the consequences of withdrawal will be communicated to you. In many cases, upon such a withdrawal, we may not be able to continue offering our products and services to you. You may withdraw consent by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
When do we share your personal data with third parties?
We may use third parties in the provision of our products and services to you. We may share your personal data with such third parties that we use to deliver and distribute our stories. We have appropriate contracts in place with all such third parties. This means that they are not permitted to do anything with your personal data which is outside of the scope specified by us. They are committed to hold your personal data securely and retain it only for the period specified in our contracts with them.
1) Reasons for sharing your personal data with third parties:
We may disclose your personal data to third parties only where it is lawful to do so. This includes instances where we or they:
- need to provide you with services.
- have asked you for your consent to share it, and you have agreed.
- have a legal obligation to do so. For example, to assist with detecting and preventing fraud.
- have a requirement in connection with regulatory reporting, litigation or asserting or defending legal rights and interests.
We may also disclose your personal data to appropriate authorities if we believe that it is reasonably necessary to comply with a law, regulation or legal process; protect the safety of any person; address fraud, security or technical issues; or protect our rights or the rights of those who use our products and services.
2) With whom your personal data may be shared:
We may disclose your personal data to the following third parties:
– other group companies that are essential to hosting and distributing our content.
– any subcontractors, agents or service providers who work for us or provide services or products to us.
– law enforcement authorities, government authorities, courts, dispute resolution bodies, regulators, auditors, and any party appointed or requested by applicable regulators to carry out investigations or audits of our activities.
– statutory and regulatory bodies, authorities (including the government) investigating agencies and entities or persons, to whom or before whom it is mandatory to disclose personal data as per the applicable law, courts, judicial and quasi-judicial authorities and tribunals, arbitrators and arbitration tribunals.
Cross-Frontier data transfer
Personal data we hold about you may be transferred to other countries outside of India for any of the purposes described in this Privacy Notice.
Any personal data will be protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice as well as with adequate protections in place in compliance with applicable laws and regulations.
How do we secure your personal data?
We are committed to protecting your personal data in our custody. We take reasonable steps to ensure appropriate physical, technical, and managerial safeguards are in place to protect your personal data from unauthorised access, alteration, transmission, and deletion. We ensure that the third parties who provide services to us under appropriate contracts take appropriate security measures to protect your personal data in line with our policies.
How long do we keep your personal data?
We keep the personal data we collect about you for as long as it is required for the purposes set out in this Privacy Notice and for legal or regulatory reasons. We take reasonable steps to delete or permanently de-identify your personal data that is no longer needed.
If you are a parent or guardian and are aware that your child has provided us with their personal data by subscribing or signing in to Northeast Today, you may reach out to us by emailing us if you no longer want your child’s personal data to be processed or retained. Please contact us at email@example.com
Links to other websites
For any further queries and complaints related to privacy, or exercising your rights, you could reach us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Notification of changes
We regularly review and update our Privacy Notice to ensure it is up-to-date and accurate. Any changes we may make to this Privacy Notice in future will be posted on this page.
Your privacy rights
You have a right to access the data that you have provided. You also have a right to update or make corrections to data that you have provided. The accuracy of such data is solely your responsibility.
If you wish to make a request to exercise any of your rights, email us at -email@example.com